The Good Life


Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Trailer Park: PARANORMAL ACTIVITY 2, LITTLE FOCKERS and HARRY POTTER 7

Behold! The latest trailers for some of the most noteworthy upcoming flicks.

By R. Kurt Osenlund, The Good Life film critic

PARANORMAL ACTIVITY 2
More shaky-cam spooks from the folks who brought you last year's viral, night-vision phenomenon.



Meh. I suppose a sequel to this movie was inevitable (and I'll admit that "Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2," a similar inevitability, is one of my fave guilty pleasures), but you know the phenomena of the original simply cannot be replicated, so it's a disappointment from the get-go. The teaser proves this baby is still in pre-pre-production stages, since all we get are a few generic still shots. Keep an eye out for more trailers, which I'm sure promise more static, more night vision and more ominous sounds.


LITTLE FOCKERS
Greg (Ben Stiller), Jack (Robert DeNiro) and the rest of the fam are back, this time with wee ones.



I find it funny (and maybe a little sad) that what I guess we can now call the "Focker" franchise is, or at least considers itself, such a prominent and important part of the showbiz universe. After repeat viweings, "Meet the Parents" finally grew on me, but in general, these films are rather obnoxious, and what they really represent is the strange trip south DeNiro's career has taken. But anyway, about the trailer -- how does it correspond with the title? Simply because Greg and Pam had children? We only see them once. These movies are about Greg and Jack. Why not stick them on a desert island and see what happens? Wait, no, don't do that.


HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS
Everyone's favorite boy wizard faces down Lord Voldemort once and for all in the two-part conclusion of this modest little franchise. ;-)



It took last year's dark and beautiful "Half-Blood Prince" to really get me excited for this "movie event of a generation." As part of my need to be hip to all things pop culture, I made a friend explain to me the entire ending when J.K. Rowling's seventh and final "HP" tome hit shelves a few years back. My first response was, "sounds like it will make a great movie." Though I find the trailer to be a little dialed-down (impress me! impress me!), after watching it, I still hold to that sentiment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]